Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Another unexpected problem

OK, so my living room had some ugly wood paneling that I had just planned on painting. Here's what we started with.



So my friend James talks me into removing it. We take off the first panel and everything is looking good. We get to the third panel and find out the real reason this paneling was put up.



That's actually a little worse that it was, we had torn some of the plaster down ourselves at that point. The problem with this house is that it's had some moisture damage. The good news is that the source of the moisture has been fixed, but they just covered up the interior damage. So, we decided to go ahead and tear down all the plaster down to the lathe. I guess I shouldn't have used the flash when there was so much dust in the air.



Now we have to put up some drywall, hopefully this Thursday. From what I've been told it's fairly easy, so we'll see how this turns out. People at work have given me tutorials. We have decided to tear down the lathe and put in some insulation before we put the drywall up. We also have some caulking to do along the chimney on the outside, seeing as how once we tore down the plaster we could see light coming in where it met the house, so I guess after everything this was a good thing.

Up next: Tomorrow I am having another electrician out to put in another outlet in the bedroom and rewire the sconces in the living room so they are on a switch. Thursday I am having the ceiling and beams painted, and on Friday I am have having the tub re-tiled. Next week the hardwood floors are being re-finished. Then that's about it for the major stuff. All that's left are the things I can work on myself!!

1 comment:

Michael said...

Oh my god, you're making so much progress!

Congratulations!