Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Money money money.... money

I've never been a big spender, but I knew when I bought a house that would be changing. I'm having new replacement windows installed. It's an expense, but it should really help my heating costs. Right now the windows are possibly the original ones. They are single pane glass, most of them don't even have locks on them! You can feel a breeze near some of them when they are shut! Not good. So it's really a long term investment.

Tomorrow I'm getting an estimate on having all the hardwood floors refinished. I had thought about doing it myself to save some money, I've heard it's about 50% less when you do it on your own, but it really sounds like a HUGE hassle, so it's probably worth it to have someone come in. It's not essential and could probably wait, but I think it will make more sense to get it down now, before I'm living there and have all my stuff moved in. It's a messy job.

I did finally talk to a guy who owns a construction comany today. He came over and took a look at the shower. He's going to rip down the plaster, lathe and tiles and put up some Durock. Then it's up to me to tile it the way I want it. Sounds like a fun project for now, maybe in a few weeks I'll be back here banging my head. We'll see. :) He's also going to install my new vanity, sink, faucet and toilet, and everything is going to be just under $1000. Not bad at all.

No comments: